Aston-Mansfield is a well established community development organisation based in Newham, East London. This is an exciting time to join Aston-Mansfield, as we seek to increase our impact on the wellbeing and potential of children and young people. We are currently going through a significant transition, aiming to focus all of our work on children, young people and families, and, over a period of time, moving away from the provision of community buildings.
We want, therefore, to strengthen the Board’s expertise in working with children, young people and families. The Trustee will lead on governance relating to children and youth work, including safeguarding, and acting as the Ofsted nominated person. The Board is focused on implementation of our new strategy, including growing our children and youth work, integrating our programmes, establishing a new ecosystem of children, youth and family work in our local areas, and developing social enterprise.
Organisationally, we aim to become more financially sustainable, to improve the way that we measure impact, and to make our property portfolio more profitable. We currently have 10 Trustees, whose expertise includes finance, corporate governance, business development, marketing and communications, fundraising, and knowledge of the voluntary sector.
- General management
- Change management
- Strategic development and planning
- Social care / counselling
- Teaching / education
- An understanding of the legal, social, political and economic context of working with children and young people, particularly in deprived areas
- Senior management experience of leading and managing programmes or services for children and young people, in education, social care or the voluntary sector
- An understanding of safeguarding in relation to children and young people
- A pragmatic ability to apply this experience to a small voluntary sector organisation
- A willingness to listen to the views of others but also to speak one’s mind
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- An understanding of the legal responsibilities and liabilities of a trustee
- An interest in, and commitment to the mission, values and activities of Aston-Mansfield
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as Trustee
- Experience of leading or managing an OFSTED registered service
- Voluntary sector governance experience
- A DBS check is required for this role
To apply for this position please visit: https://reachskills.org.uk/opp/children-and-youth-trustee