Aston Mansfield Charitable Trust – Trustee Role
Aston Mansfield Charitable Trust (AMCT) holds an endowment fund and a number of property assets which it uses to generate grant funding for organisations which fulfil its objects, including relieving poverty, sickness and distress and advancing education and preserving and protecting the health of members of the community in East London and elsewhere. The principal grant it makes is to a connected charity, Aston-Mansfield.
Overview of the Role
We are planning to redevelop one of our main sites in Forest Gate, Newham, and are also currently reviewing our property portfolio, with a view to improving its performance. The site comprises a Community Centre, a New Business Centre, Social Housing (26 tenants) and a parade of 7 shops, adjoining a Crossrail station. We are therefore particularly interested in bringing onto the Board an additional Trustee with substantial experience in property development.
1. To advise the Trustees on the long term planning for and development of AMCT’s property assets, in line with its objects and mission
2. To ensure that AMCT complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
3. To ensure that AMCT pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
4. To ensure that AMCT manages its resources appropriately, and uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
5. To ensure that AMCT is accountable, both in relation to statutory accounting and reporting requirements, and in any authority that is delegated to staff or volunteers
6. To contribute actively to the board of trustees’ role in giving strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
7. To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
8. To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation
9. To ensure the financial stability of the organisation
10. To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity’s funds
Experience and qualities required
- Knowledge and experience of property development and management
- Ability to communicate clearly and work constructively with others
- Tact and diplomacy
- A willingness to listen to the views of others but also to speak one’s mind
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- An understanding of the legal responsibilities and liabilities of a trustee
- An interest in, and commitment to the mission, values and activities of AMCT
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV to Claire Helman, Chief Executive, Aston-Mansfield,
firstname.lastname@example.org and/or contact Claire for an informal discussion.