Click HERE for the PDF version of the information below.
Job title: Young Facilitator
Duration: 30 hours a month
Direct line manager and accountability: Youth Manager & Programme Coordinator
Salary: £12 per hour
Location: Froud Community Centre, Manor Park, E12 5JF and home based.
Job type: Fixed term – 6 months, immediate start
Background: Aston Mansfield has been working in the heart of east London for over 130 years. Our work with children, young people and families offers hope and practical experiences to build aspirations and create better futures. Working with over 400 young people each year, our aim is to create a vibrant and inclusive learning environment so that young people can become successful and active citizens contributing to their communities. We have specialist skills in working with young people with special educational needs, disabilities and their families and in working with young people at risk of mental health issues. We are proud of our work in developing challenging young people to become young leaders through our programmes and we are currently working with London Youth to gain accreditation through their quality assurance framework.
We run a range of youth projects in Newham including Young Achievers Group (YAG) for young people with special education needs and disabilities; Youth4Youth a youth leadership programme and Wireless2.0 We are looking to recruit a young person aged 18 – 25 as a Young Facilitator. The successful candidate will support the successful delivery of Wireless2.0, a blended programme of online and face to face youth delivery for young people from around Newham. The Wireless2.0 programme brings diverse youth from across the Borough who may not ordinarily meet or befriend one another for a series of team building and skills development sessions. We want to help young people grow their confidence, experiences to access opportunities in education, work and networks. The role of the Young Facilitator will be to support the planning and successful delivery of the Wireless2.0 programme. The role is primarily home based and will require evening and weekend work.
● To establish and maintain a positive relationship with young people in the Aston Mansfield’s networks.
● Plan and deliver an exciting programme of activities for young people in and around Newham.
● To support the growth and development of Aston-Mansfield’s Wireless project and to act as a representative of Aston-Mansfield at appropriate forums and events and build relationships with relevant stakeholders.
● Plan and facilitate meetings and events alongside young people.
● Support the recruitment of young people to get involved in the Wireless 2.0 programme
● Attend regular meetings and supervision sessions.
● To support the Project Coordinator to ensure that all Wireless activities and outcomes are planned, prepared and implemented, in consultation with young people and staff
● To support the promotion and marketing of Wireless 2.0
● To be the main point of contact with a cohort of young people and feeding back regularly to colleagues and line manager.
● Help raise the profile of Aston-Mansfield’s work with young people through social media channels, blogs and case studies.
● To build rapport and maintain engagement with young people through regular meetings, learning days and socials.
● To help prepare and deliver workshops and sessions
● To support the planning, administration and delivery of youth led projects and events.
● To gather and share learning and information with staff, young people and external organisations.
● To attend team meetings and participate in learning days.
Person specification: Education, qualifications & experience
● Educated to GCSE standard or equivalent
● Experience of taking part in or leading youth related community projects/activities
● Experience of working with young people individually and in groups
● Sound knowledge and understanding of safeguarding young people
● Experience of coordinating small scale events
● Experience of being involved in community/social action.
● Experience of collecting data for impact measurement
● Experience of working in a similar environment/role
● Passionate about leading, developing and improving the quality of youth work
● Experience of outreach, recruitment and retention of young people on a programme
● Clear understanding of the particular issues and needs affecting young people
● First Aid training
● Health & Safety training
● Flexibility and resourcefulness
● Ability to work effectively across teams
● Ability to work effectively with young people
● Excellent organisational and administration skills
● Ability to communicate well with young people and adults
● Good time management
● Experience of Office 365 and social networking sites
● Experience of event planning
● Experience of planning and delivering virtual sessions
● Friendly, cheerful, positive and self driven, able to work independently and as part of the team
● Passionate about young people and their progression to achieve their full potential
● Show a flexible approach to accommodate changing priorities
● Ability to develop strong working relationships with young people, staff, volunteers, and external stakeholders
● Share Aston-Mansfield’s values and ethos
● Able to work in the evenings and weekends
● Willingness to have a flexible approach to Aston-Mansfield related work
A satisfactory enhanced DBS check is required for this role. To apply, please send a cv and covering letter stating how your experience meets the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org Please also get in touch using the email address if you would like to arrange an informal chat about the role. Closing date for applications is 5pm, 1 September 2020.