Community Involvement Unit
“CIU has been absolutely vital to our survival.”
The Aston-Mansfield Community Involvement Unit (CIU) is a team of specialists providing a comprehensive package of quality advice and information aimed at supporting and strengthening voluntary and community groups.
Our work with groups
- We provide advice on organisational and financial development to voluntary and community groups across east London , working with on average almost 300 groups a year.
- We provide fundraising advice and support including using Grant Finder, a comprehensive database of funding opportunities.
- We provide a community research service, which can provide either tailored research projects for groups or end-of-project evaluations.
- We offer a shared Community Office at the Froud Centre in Manor Park.
- We organise events including networking lunches, training sessions and workshops. We can deliver training sessions for your organisation. please contact us below to discuss your requirements.
- Newham ESOL Exchange
Newham ESOL Exchange aims to co-ordinate and improve English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes in the borough. Find out more here.
- Pan-London Community Premises Project
The CIU worked in partnership with Locality and CAN to deliver a series of ‘Enterprising Assets’ workshops for managers of community buildings across London. We produced a Good Practice Guide for Community Buildings (see CIU Publications to download a copy) and offer one-to-one mentoring for staff working in community premises.
- Tackling Poverty
Together with Community Links, Bonny Downs Community Association, Alternatives Trust east London we have produced a directory of all the services responding to family poverty in Newham (see CIU Publications to download a copy) we are continuing to work together to see where we can deliver work supporting local families.
Resources and Publications
- We provide a comprehensive library and resource centre aimed at supporting voluntary, community and faith sector groups.
- We offer a wide range of factsheets and information targeted at non-profit organisations (see CIU Publications)
- We distribute a monthly emailing to voluntary, community and faith groups. Click here to be added to the distribution list
- We produce the Newham Directory of Religious Groups, currently available online at www.newhamfaiths.org.uk
- We produce a Directory of Youth Provision in Newham (see CIU Publications to download a copy)
- We produce a Directory of ESOL Provision in Newham
- We produce reports and summaries from all of our community research projects
For a comprehensive list of publications and resources available from Aston-Mansfield see here
- We administer an informal Community Centre Managers Forum, which has produced an annual Community Centres Hiring Guide (see CIU Publications to download a copy)
Contact the CIU
To find out more about the work of the Community Involvement Unit, ring the CIU reception on 020 8519 2244 or contact:
Tel: 020 3740 8122
E-mail: click here