Community Involvement Unit
“The CIU has been absolutely vital to our survival.”
The Aston-Mansfield Community Involvement Unit (CIU) is a team of specialists providing quality advice and information aimed at supporting and strengthening voluntary and community groups.
Our work with groups
- We provide advice on organisational and financial development to voluntary and community groups across east London , working with almost 150 groups a year.
- We provide fundraising advice and support including using Grant Finder, a comprehensive database of funding opportunities. We also organise events including networking lunches, training sessions and workshops. We can deliver training sessions for your organisation. Please contact us below to discuss your requirements.
- We provide a community research service, which can provide either tailored research projects for groups or end-of-project evaluations.
- We offer a shared Community Office at the Froud Centre in Manor Park.
- We provide a comprehensive library and resource centre, including research and factsheets, aimed at supporting voluntary, community and faith sector groups. For our online resources, please see CIU Publications.
- Newham ESOL Exchange
Newham ESOL Exchange aims to co-ordinate and improve English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes in the borough. Find out more here.
- Pan-London Community Premises Project
The CIU worked in partnership with Locality and CAN to deliver a series of ‘Enterprising Assets’ workshops for managers of community buildings across London. We produced a Good Practice Guide for Community Buildings (see CIU Publications to download a copy) and offer one-to-one mentoring for staff working in community premises.
- Tackling Poverty
Together with Community Links, Bonny Downs Community Association, Alternatives Trust east London we have produced a directory of all the services responding to family poverty in Newham (see CIU Publications to download a copy) we are continuing to work together to see where we can deliver work supporting local families.
Resources and Publications
- We distribute a monthly emailing to voluntary, community and faith groups. Click here to be added to the distribution list
- We produce the Newham Directory of Religious Groups, currently available online at www.newhamfaiths.org.uk
- We produce a Directory of Youth Provision in Newham (see CIU Publications to download a copy)
- We produce a Directory of ESOL Provision in Newham
- We produce reports and summaries from all of our community research projects
- We administer an informal Community Centre Managers Forum, which has produced an annual Community Centres Hiring Guide (see CIU Publications to download a copy)
Contact the CIU
To find out more about the work of the CIU, please ring our reception on 020 8519 2244.
News Updates about the CIU
- Funding Surgery in partnership with the Refugee Council
- EVENT: FUNDING FAIR
- All you need to know about Newham!
- **NOW CLOSED**Vacancy for Newham ESOL Exchange Outreach Worker (Part-time) – NOW CLOSED
- CIU launches new edition of Community Centres Hiring Guide
- Newham Funding Summit held at Durning Hall