Community Involvement Unit
The Aston-Mansfield Community Involvement Unit (CIU) is a team of specialists providing a comprehensive package of quality advice and information aimed at supporting and strengthening voluntary and community groups.
Our work with groups
- We provide advice on organisational and financial development to voluntary and community groups across east London , working with on average almost 300 groups a year.
- We provide fundraising advice and support including using Grant Finder, a comprehensive database of funding opportunities.
- We provide a community research service, which can provide either tailored research projects for groups or end-of-project evaluations.
- We offer a shared Community Office at the Froud Centre in Manor Park.
- We organise many events including networking lunches and between 10-20 workshops each year.
- We also host an Annual Conference at Durning Hall for voluntary, community and faith sector groups in east London, facilitating the dissemination of information, practical workshops and opportunities for networking.
- Newham ESOL Exchange
Newham ESOL Exchange aims to co-ordinate and improve English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes in the borough. Find out more here.
- Newham Supper Club
The Supper Club is an online social network for local people who want to make the most of their spare time. It is made up of ‘Interest Groups’ that bring together people with shared interests to take part in a range of informal community events and activities. The website can be found here.
- Pan-London Community Premises Project
The CIU works in partnership with Locality and CAN to deliver a series of ‘Enterprising Assets’ workshops for managers of community buildings across London. We have produced a Good Practice Guide for Community Buildings (see CIU Publications to download a copy) and offer one-to-one mentoring for staff working in community premises.
Resources and Publications
- We provide a comprehensive library and resource centre aimed at supporting voluntary, community and faith sector groups.
- We offer a wide range of factsheets and information targeted at non-profit organisations (see CIU Publications)
- We have distributed a monthly mailing to voluntary, community and faith groups.
- We produce the Newham Directory of Religious Groups, currently available online at www.newhamfaiths.org.uk
- We produce a Directory of Youth Provision in Newham (see CIU Publications to download a copy)
- We produce a Directory of ESOL Provision in Newham
- We produce reports and summaries from all of our community research projects
For a comprehensive list of publications and resources available from Aston-Mansfield see here
- The CIU administers the Newham Capacity Builders Working Group, which brings together front-line workers involved in helping voluntary, community and faith sector groups to become more sustainable.
- We administer an informal Community Centre Managers Forum, which produces an annual Community Centres Hiring Guide (see CIU Publications to download a copy)
Contact the CIU
To find out more about the work of the Community Involvement Unit, ring the CIU reception on 020 8519 2244 or contact:
Tel: 020 8536 3825
E-mail: click here
News Updates about the CIU
- EVENT: FUNDING FAIR
- EVENT: informal ESOL
- All you need to know about Newham!
- Vacancy for Newham ESOL Exchange Outreach Worker (Part-time) – NOW CLOSED
- CIU launches new edition of Community Centres Hiring Guide
- Newham Funding Summit held at Durning Hall
- Local MP highlights our new online Directory of faith groups
- CIU launches new edition of Directory of Youth Provision in Newham