Community Involvement Unit
The Community Involvement Unit (CIU) is a group of specialists whose aim is to grow, develop and sustain voluntary and community groups. We offer services which keep these groups informed, supported and connected. We can take a group from an initial idea to winning funding and employing staff. Quality is key to all our provision and we work in partnership with sector leaders to give groups in Newham the best.
“The CIU has been absolutely vital to our survival.”
At a glance, we provide the following services to voluntary and community groups. Click on our interactive jigsaw puzzle below and find out more about each service:
To find out about more of our services that we can provide for you, please ring our CIU reception on 020 8519 2244 or email email@example.com. Alternatively, please see the links below for more information.
- Newham ESOL Exchange aims to co-ordinate and improve English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes in the borough. We produce a Directory of ESOL Provision in Newham. Find out more here.
- Pan-London Community Premises Project was a project that we worked in partnership with Locality and CAN to deliver a series of ‘Enterprising Assets’ workshops for managers of community buildings across London. We produced a Good Practice Guide for Community Buildings (see CIU Publications) and offer one-to-one mentoring for staff working in community premises.
- Tackling Poverty involved us working together with Community Links, Bonny Downs Community Association, Alternatives Trust east London to produce a directory of all the services responding to family poverty in Newham (see CIU Publications) we are continuing to work together to see where we can deliver work supporting local families.
- We produce the Newham Directory of Religious Groups, currently available online at www.newhamfaiths.org.uk
- We produce a Directory of Youth Provision in Newham (see CIU Publications)
- We administer an informal Community Centre Managers Forum, which has produced an annual Community Centres Hiring Guide (see CIU Publications)
News Updates about the CIU
- Workshop: “Growing Your Community Group”
- Upcoming Event: The 3rd Sector in Austerity
- This month in the CIU…
- Free event: ‘Facts for Funding’
- Funding Surgery in partnership with the Refugee Council